Sunday, January 1, 2012

Convenient Service

Today in church my friend made a comment about service.  It really has stuck hard with me.  She shared how she has been striving to give more service.  She wondered if she has been doing enough service lately and really struggled with this thought.  Then a man she works with said this statement:

Lesson Learned:
"If it is convenient for you, then it is probably not service."

um...ouch. Haha. Seriously, ouch. My heart just sank. I learned today. A real good one. Service is sacrifice. Sacrifice for others.  Do I only serve when it is convenient for me? How selfish. Christ didn't wait for when it was convenient for Him to Atone for our sins in Gethsemane.  He didn't wait for when he had nothing to do to wash the feet of His apostles, or calm the seas in a raging storm, or heal the sick, or perform miracles, or raise the dead. In fact, He never did it on "His time".  His whole life was for "our time". He didn't live for Himself, He lived for us. I think I can give up some of "my time" to do visiting teaching, or make dinner for a neighbor, or take a young woman to school...
When, in fact, it really isn't "my time" anyways. It's His.

No comments:

Post a Comment